WHAT IS THE RELUCTANT GENIUS?

• Hate your boss?
• Suck at interviewing?
• Deserve a promotion?
• Can't negotiate your way out of a paper bag?
• Suffering through a professional crisis?
• Have ISSUES?

Then you've hit the right place.

Through brutal honesty and concrete advice, the Reluctant Genius effectively helps you manage all aspects of your job and career. With 18 years of experience in Hollywood, the RG has figured out how to make it to the top AND SURVIVE, somewhat unscathed.

Available for consulting services and speaking engagements. Write to: info@thereluctantgenius.com

Sunday

WHY YOU MUST BELIEVE YOUR OWN B.S.

Think of it this way: O.J. so believed his own bullshit that he was able to sell it to a large portion of the population. There are still people to this very day who believe him when he says he didn't kill Nicole. Yes, this is a grim example, but you can use this notion IN A GOOD WAY. This example just goes to show the power of believing your own b.s.. If YOU believe it, THEY'LL believe it.

The beauty of YOUR story is, chances are, that what you THINK is b.s. really isn't. It's just that you haven't found the part of your voice that's strong enough to say it outLOUD to the people who need to hear it.

I'll give you specific examples, but I'll protect my hyper-sensitive clients with pseudonyms. Your job, as you read this, is to follow my prompts and say outLOUD whatever I tell you to. Ready? Go!

Let's take Rachella* (name changed to protect self-esteem): She is a very talented TV producer who has a hard time saying that she's a very talented TV producer. Let's use just this one stumbling block as STEP #1. It seems basic, but we've gotta start somewhere.

Say outLOUD 3 times:

I am a very talented___________________________!
(this could be "accountant," "artist," "father," "writer," "janitor," "dogwalker," whatever. Just fill it in and SAY it.)

How did you feel when you said it?
Like a liar? Embarrassed? Get over it. Chances are you have talent in something relevant to whatever it is you're going after or you wouldn't be going after it.

Did your voice trail off at the end of your statement?
If it did, you don't believe what you're saying. Say it again and don't let it trail off. If you didn't trail off, you're on your way to believing!

Did you smile when you said it?
If you didn't, say it again and smile as you say it. When you add a smile it adds a sense of humility. You can praise yourself outLOUD and tell people you're the greatest thing since slided bread and still sound humble. Sound crazy? It's not. (O.J. smiled all the time and you can, too! OK. I'm kidding. I'm kidding.)

This doesn't mean that you're going to walk into an interview and blurt out, "I'm a very talented ___________," although I wouldn't say you'd NEVER do that, but we'll save that for a more advanced exercise. First, you just have to hear yourself say outLOUD something that simple yet powerful.

You must learn to LOCK THIS INTO YOUR BRAIN. You'll need to pull this out whenever you're feeling small in a meeting, overshadowed by a co-worker, unqualified in an interview, minimized by a boss, or any situation you feel uncomfortable in. Imagine your foot is on an air-pump and when you start to feel anything-less-than-fabulous, start pumping yourself up with air. See, it's bullshit, but it's really not. Air is just air, but you're pumping yourself up with truth.

So, just for today, practice saying your talents (yes, multiple) outLOUD. I guarantee you have many, so try 'em all on for size and see how they fit. Make a list of everything you come up with because that's what you're going to be working with as you go through this process.

MORAL: Start bullshitting. Start believing. Start selling.

LAURA INGRAM -- "DON'T COME IN MY EAR" -- This sums up life in TV

"The Harvest" -- A MUST SEE FOR ALL OF YOU CREATIVE TYPES

THESE PEOPLE SWEAR BY ME. I SWEAR.

Tracy Mazuer’s coaching skills are entirely responsible for elevating my career and status in the television industry. Tracy has recognized and helped to define a vital yet consistently overlooked part of building and maintaining a successful career in the entertainment industry – how to successfully market yourself.

I have worked in television as a Producer/Director for many years. Prior to discovering Tracy’s abilities, I promoted myself so poorly that...(read more of this testimonial)


"In a town that really has no rules, its nice to know that there's someone out there on your side. The stories use the entertainment business as a background, but all the examples and lessons are applicable to anyone in the working world. And coming from someone that has been getting advice from the Reluctant Genius for over 8 years, let me just say...Its worth the read!" - David Tobin, Producer

"Tracy has been a great coach and mentor to me in my current job search. Having worked for the same companies for many years, my idea of networking was to call my past employers and beg for work. With Tracy’s help I have re-energized my job search, making new contacts and taking meetings more successfully. Her positive and pro-active approach has given me a new way to “work the room.” I feel more in control and positive in meetings than I have in years. Thank you, Tracy." -J.G. Writer/Producer

"Tracy Mazuer's advice and guidance not only helped me to overcome my fears of asking for what I want (and become successful at getting it); she also helped me to realize the true value of my worth to the creative world! After consulting with "The Reluctant Genius", I landed more meetings, got my ideas more streamlined, and most importantly learned the sacred art of kicking ass! She is a rockstar in the consulting world! I would recommend "The Reluctant Genius" to anyone who is looking to get what they want!" --Johnny Appleseed (aka Shawn Colin Young)

"Tracy Mazuer's genius has saved me from many heartaches and headaches. I was reluctant to be as bold as I am in business until I started working with Tracy. She helped me take what I learned in the independent world and bring it to a larger audience. Tracy is part of the genius behind the creation of Stirring Up Trouble! If you are ready to go to the next level (no matter what level you're at) then you must consult with 'The Reluctant Genius' I don't know what I would have done without her!" -filmmaker, writer and host of Stirring Up Trouble
Tracy has a way of teaching you something without pointing her finger, being condescending or coming at it from a “I know it all” attitude, because frankly she doesn’t and nobody does, but she admits it, and that is what makes her “real” and most certainly approachable! Tracy has a way with words and people, truly a gift and surely something that can’t be taught, but she treats you like her equal. She has always been my boss, never vice versa but it’s always seemed as though we were fighting the same battle and we were at war side by side. (read more...)


The Reluctant Genius - check it out
Connecting Reality - Wednesday, 29 October 2008
 
Clicky Web Analytics