WHAT IS THE RELUCTANT GENIUS?

• Hate your boss?
• Suck at interviewing?
• Deserve a promotion?
• Can't negotiate your way out of a paper bag?
• Suffering through a professional crisis?
• Have ISSUES?

Then you've hit the right place.

Through brutal honesty and concrete advice, the Reluctant Genius effectively helps you manage all aspects of your job and career. With 18 years of experience in Hollywood, the RG has figured out how to make it to the top AND SURVIVE, somewhat unscathed.

Available for consulting services and speaking engagements. Write to: info@thereluctantgenius.com

Friday

EINSTEIN'S THEORY OF HOLLYWOOD MOMENTUM


Einstein developed a theory about energy and momentum. It looks like this:

I know, I hear ya—24r to the 3rd power appears ludicrous considering the q6 and q10, but it all works out. I’ll explain in just a moment, but it’s important to establish this so you’ll understand how my slight alteration of his theory can change your life.

By simply replacing the 240 with 260, we come up with a theory about momentum as it applies to the entertainment world that, if only he were alive, could be proven by Einstein himself.

(Or, perhaps he would drop dead seeing my bastardization of his life’s work. Whatever.)

HERE'S MY THEORY:
The way to find a job and/or make more money is TO BUILD MOMENTUM! Let’s look at it.

You desperately need a job. You just sit at home staring at the phone. What’s going to happen? Ummmm…….

You bitch and moan that you want more money at your current gig, but what are you doing about it? Duhhhhh……

YOU DESPERATELY NEED A JOB: I liken building momentum to throwing a bunch of spaghetti against the wall to see what’ll stick. Not only can you tell if your fusilli’s al dente, you’ll stand a better chance of actually getting a call-back or two.

Now, throwing a bunch of goo against the wall doesn’t mean posting your resume on MONSTER.COM and sending a crap load of blind resumes to nameless, faceless assistants who placed an ad on GETATVJOB.COM and then getting all pissed off when nothing happens. Building momentum means dragging your ass off your futon and getting out to networking events, calling friends or former colleagues in the biz to see if they’ll have coffee with you, (so you can get their ideas on what’s happening), and working your ass off to secure actual MEETINGS through them, through the phone, through bribery, through whatever it takes. Meetings are hard to get, I know, but I swear to Einstein that once you start hurling your linguini at the wall, a strand or two WILL EVENTUALLY STICK.

By doing all of this work to get work, you’ll be securing more contacts so next time you’re looking for a gig, you’ll have more people to connect with. Simple.

So, your pasta stuck; you got a job. Now don’t let your ass hit that futon! This is where, if you work it, your MOMENTUM grows EXPONENTIALLY! Keep networking even though you are working—keep networking BECAUSE you are working.*

“It’s easier to get a job when you have a job.” Someone said it—I have no idea whom--and we just keep repeating it because it’s true. Since many of our entertainment jobs are short-term, either the show/project ends or we get fired, you’ve gotta stay on your toes and keep your momentum going.**

When you have MOMENTUM you might find yourself with two or more simultaneous job offers! HOORAY! When you have MOMENTUM you might find yourself employed and then being courted by another! YAHOO! This MOMENTUM means LEVERAGE. When you have leverage, you win—unless you eff it up. Here’s the deal with LEVERAGE: You can really screw the pooch in these situations if you handle it poorly. It’s a delicate balance and is not for the weak of heart. Write me tmazuer@gmail.com if you need help negotiating the exciting, yet potentially dangerous, waters of multiple offers.

Here’s my modified MOMENTUM equation. It’s a little more user friendly than what’s his name’s:
16oz Fettuccini + Boiling Water + 9 minutes + Wall = MOMENTUM

*Unless you’re under a specific contract, you have no reason not to continue meeting people and seeing what’s ahead as long as you do it professionally. If you are under a contract be careful and understand the terms of your agreement so you handle your momentum appropriately. It can get dicey.

**Please don’t take or make meetings on your company’s time. Do it before work, after work or on the weekends. I’m even a little squeamish about doing it at lunch unless the people you’re working for are horrible, abusive neo-Nazis or complete crackheads. You don’t want it to appear that you’re not 150% focused during your workday.

Anecdotal story about taking meetings during a workday: Years ago I was the CO-EP on a syndicated talk show and one of my staff members, who had been doing a crappy job and making others’ lives miserable, walked into the control room while we were busy taping a show. He was wearing “interview clothes” and an NBC VISITOR’S sticker on his lapel. We were not an NBC show. I hit the roof. So, if you DO take a meeting during the workday, cover your tracks.

Oh, and you need BUSINESS CARDS! This is a mistake I made. I never had ‘em, until now. You can get them for FREE (I swear) at www.vistaprint.com and they’ll come quickly. Just be prepared to be buried alive in an avalanche of Vista Print “promotions” in your inbox—it’s the small price you pay for FREE.




LAURA INGRAM -- "DON'T COME IN MY EAR" -- This sums up life in TV

"The Harvest" -- A MUST SEE FOR ALL OF YOU CREATIVE TYPES

THESE PEOPLE SWEAR BY ME. I SWEAR.

Tracy Mazuer’s coaching skills are entirely responsible for elevating my career and status in the television industry. Tracy has recognized and helped to define a vital yet consistently overlooked part of building and maintaining a successful career in the entertainment industry – how to successfully market yourself.

I have worked in television as a Producer/Director for many years. Prior to discovering Tracy’s abilities, I promoted myself so poorly that...(read more of this testimonial)


"In a town that really has no rules, its nice to know that there's someone out there on your side. The stories use the entertainment business as a background, but all the examples and lessons are applicable to anyone in the working world. And coming from someone that has been getting advice from the Reluctant Genius for over 8 years, let me just say...Its worth the read!" - David Tobin, Producer

"Tracy has been a great coach and mentor to me in my current job search. Having worked for the same companies for many years, my idea of networking was to call my past employers and beg for work. With Tracy’s help I have re-energized my job search, making new contacts and taking meetings more successfully. Her positive and pro-active approach has given me a new way to “work the room.” I feel more in control and positive in meetings than I have in years. Thank you, Tracy." -J.G. Writer/Producer

"Tracy Mazuer's advice and guidance not only helped me to overcome my fears of asking for what I want (and become successful at getting it); she also helped me to realize the true value of my worth to the creative world! After consulting with "The Reluctant Genius", I landed more meetings, got my ideas more streamlined, and most importantly learned the sacred art of kicking ass! She is a rockstar in the consulting world! I would recommend "The Reluctant Genius" to anyone who is looking to get what they want!" --Johnny Appleseed (aka Shawn Colin Young)

"Tracy Mazuer's genius has saved me from many heartaches and headaches. I was reluctant to be as bold as I am in business until I started working with Tracy. She helped me take what I learned in the independent world and bring it to a larger audience. Tracy is part of the genius behind the creation of Stirring Up Trouble! If you are ready to go to the next level (no matter what level you're at) then you must consult with 'The Reluctant Genius' I don't know what I would have done without her!" -filmmaker, writer and host of Stirring Up Trouble
Tracy has a way of teaching you something without pointing her finger, being condescending or coming at it from a “I know it all” attitude, because frankly she doesn’t and nobody does, but she admits it, and that is what makes her “real” and most certainly approachable! Tracy has a way with words and people, truly a gift and surely something that can’t be taught, but she treats you like her equal. She has always been my boss, never vice versa but it’s always seemed as though we were fighting the same battle and we were at war side by side. (read more...)


The Reluctant Genius - check it out
Connecting Reality - Wednesday, 29 October 2008
 
Clicky Web Analytics